The history of Coppo winery is linked to Canelli in Monferrato, Piedmont, the birthplace of Italian sparkling wine.
Coppo was founded in 1892 in Canelli (Asti) and has been under the ownership of the Lanci-Soldadino family since 2021.
Coppo’s mission is to produce wines to express the local environment specificity.
Coppo was one of the first few companies in Italy to vinify and bottle the grapes produced in vineyards with its own trademark.
The company’s core values are quality-seeking, respect for local varieties, and innovation conceived to support tradition and reliability.
The emblem, visible on every label, is a reproduction of a wooden sculpture purposely made for Coppo during the ’20s. It depicts a cherub trying to contain the effervescence of a spumante bottle. The Latin motto “Robur et Salus” (Strength and Health) is engraved at his feet.
Canelli and Monferrato area
The history of Coppo, which remains deeply rooted in the birthplace of Italian Spumante, is inextricably bonded with the history of Monferrato in Piedmont, one of the most distinguished areas on the Italian and global wine map.
The vineyards and the wines
The vineyards spread over 52 hectares across Canelli, Agliano Terme, Castelnuovo Calcea, Gavi, and all the way to Barolo, in Langhe territory.
Since its origins, Coppo kept innovating and reviewing the production of the typical Canelli grapes to allow for the continued support of both the Spumante and Moscato d’Asti wine traditions.
Starting from the early ’80s, the effort to develop the vine varieties of Barbera and Chardonnay strengthened international recognition, with Pomorosso, Monteriolo, and the two Reserve of the Family being the most valuable interpretations.
Considering the totality of wines, the annual production consists of around 400,000 bottles, a figure coherent with the company’s nature, its mission, and the standards pursued.
The annual production consists of around 400,000 bottles, a figure coherent with the company’s nature, its mission, and the standards pursued.
Coppo wines are produced and stored in historical cellars, now recognized as Unesco World Heritage sites, since 2014.
Initially built in the eighteenth century as small storage cellars, they were renovated and enlarged during 1800’s and 1900’s to modern standards. They now spread underneath Canelli’s hill for over 5000 square meters and down to 40 meters in depth.
The new owner’s recent renovation projects aim to preserve the historic wine cellars, which serve as a testament to the rich wine heritage, its history, and the tireless work of people. The ultimate goal is to make these cellars accessible to wine enthusiasts from all corners of the world.